Monday, December 29, 2008

Mariah Carey - Rent-A-Car Maxim (Spain) - October 2001 Issue



Her star shines more than ever with her last album and first movie, both entitled "Glitter". Follow her star!

When she started her career, she was just a pretty face signing. Musical critics used to say she was just "white with the voice of a black girl," but be the number one in sales you need to have the essence of a star inside yourself.

Your mother discovered you...
When I was three years old I was already singing operas from Verdi. My mother was a singing teacher and saw my potential.

Did you have a hard childhood?
I don't speak much about my past. Eventhough I am not Cinderella, I lived a very intense life before I was twelve years old.

A drama very resembling of Glitter, your first movie
I play Billie Frank, a New Yorker who had a childhood full of problems and searches for her family and her authentic voice. There are similarities, but it's not an autobiographical movie.

How was the adventure of doing a movie?
For me the important thing is not to be a movie star, but to be able to touch people in another way.

Only the Beatles and Elvis Presley have more number ones than you
I get scared when people say those numbers. I had one number one for every year of the nineties! But sometimes I feel grieved, because I think that I am not really so famous or so good.

But with your ass you are happy
(Laughs) Sounds a little bit harsh, doesn't it? But yes, I like my ass, I feel very good with it.

And your look delights all the men...
The recording company wanted me to dress in a more regular way, but for me it's a pleasure to feel sexy. That aggressive aspect is genius.

Behind all that is the divorce from Tommy Mottola. Is that true?
When I separated from Tommy, I suffered a transformation in every aspect of my life, I felt very free. I became more sexy and suggestive. Even my music changed. I included soul, funky, hip hop and rhythm & blues to my ballads. I am positive we can say that a big part of my success nowadays is because of this very drastic change I had. I was very fortunate.

And then you were the artist with the biggest contract in the history of music
Yes, my contract with Virgin surpasses 15.000 million for five records.

Even so, they had pushed back many times the release of Glitter
It coincided with a nervous crisis because I needed to check in a hospital. Glitter should have had been released in the end of August, but Virgin and I wanted very much to participate together in this release.

To be sincere, we missed you this summer Thanks. The only thing I needed was some rest, sleep a night without having someone appearing with work to be done. I am sorry that I had to cancel some appearances.

Rested, you look younger
(laughs) Because of that I do interviews in bed, so I use the time to relax. Eventhough I don't mind to lay on a car, as you can see...


Origin: Was born in March 27, 1970. Her father is Alfred Roy Carey, a Venezuelan aeronautic engineer, and Patricia Hickey, an opera singer born in New York

Music: In 1984, recorded her first demo in the studios of Long Island, and when she reached the age of sixteen, her brother Morgan paid for her to record a professional demo. Mariah Carey (1980), her first album, sold six million records and won one Grammy

Marriage: In 1993, inspired by the Princess of Wales.

Rumors: Denied a relationship with Eminem and said many times that she never broke up with Luis Miguel





Many thanks to Kerry from MariahCareyCollection for the scans and to Joao for translating the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment